According to News24: Police, including heavily armed officers, flooded the area after the shooting that happened in the morning on a tram at a busy traffic intersection in a residential neighbourhood.
At least one person has been killed and multiple others injured, a police spokesperson said.
Utrecht police said that trauma helicopters were sent to the scene and appealed to the public to stay away to allow first responders to do their work. Television footage showed that a body appeared to be lying next to the tram.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte called the situation “very worrying” and the country’s counterterror coordinator said in a tweet that a crisis team was meeting to discuss the situation. The alert level was raised to its highest level around the central Dutch town of Utrecht following the shooting incident on a tram in the city, with the shooter still on the run.
Anti-terror coordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said in a statement that the “threat level has gone to 5, exclusively for the Utrecht province”, referring to the highest level.
“The culprit is still on the run. A terror motive cannot be excluded,” he posted in a message on Twitter.
Police spokesperson Bernhard Jens said that no one had been detained yet.
Jens said that “one explanation is that the person fled by car”. He did not rule out the possibility that more than one person was involved.
“We want to try to catch the person responsible as soon as possible,” Jens said.
The police is investigating the shooting at the #24oktoberplein in Utrecht this morning. An possible terrorist motif is part of the investigation.
— Politie Utrecht (@PolitieUtrecht) March 18, 2019
'Dutch police are saying that the shooting may have had a terrorist motive.'
SkyEnda has the latest as several people have been injured in a shooting in the Dutch city of Utrecht.
— Jenni Missye White (@Missycilious) March 18, 2019